It isn't summer until you fire up the grill. Last month things heated up with Hobby Club's hobby of the month: grilling. I became obsessed with making skewers. They're so simple and make it easy to suit your guest's tastes. My favorite were any with pineapple and peppers. There's something about the combination of the textures and flavors that had me coming back to the grill over and over again.
What we read last month as we earned the grillmaster badge:
- Please pass the chimichurri. Or one of these other store-bought rubs and sauces worth trying.
- For veggie lovers: Here are some veggies ripe for grilling, and I also recommend the book Grilling Vegan Style.
- For meat eaters: Recipes for brisket, smoked BBQ and pulled pork.
- One chef says you can grill the perfect steak with a "charcoal chimney," but I think searing your steak is probably just fine, too.
- And by the way, have you ever wondered what makes red meat red? (Hint: It has nothing to do with being bloody.)
- On using high heat, and other surefire tips when grilling fish.
- If you're making burgers, why not make the buns, too? (Unless, of course, you plan to use potato rolls. Those are the best.)
- From the grill to the [cocktail] glass: how to make smoked ice.
Somehow, I'm still hungry.
What's your favorite food to throw on the grill?